GrapeJooz

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Remembering Tuscany

I was at Whole Foods today for some fancy mushrooms and a Sangiovese for the recipe. While browsing their wine section, I stumbled upon a couple of wines from the Montepulciano region of Tuscany, Italy. It brought back memories from our visit to the region in October 2004 when we stayed at a farmhouse just outside Montepulciano. The visit was phenomenal and the taste of the food and wine from that region still lingers on. I could not resist picking up a couple. One in particular was Le Berne 2001 Vino Nobile Di Montepulciano. I opened it the same night and it was very good. The wine is a Sangiovese Blend with a big nose. It definitely needed some breathing. After about 15 minutes the wine tasted heavenly, with very little aftertaste. I am definitely going back to buy a few more and store them.

The cost was approximately $25 at Whole Foods.